low res busts

I spent the last few months doing some low res sculpt tests to see if it would be worth for me to start working on a project that I have in mind, and the truth is that I am pretty happy with the results.

I have always said that the details in a sculpt don’t make the model, it is the low subdivision levels that make it good or bad, but one thing is to say it and another one to prove it. With these works I wanted to prove (at least to myself) that this was true.

All of these busts have around 60k triangles <hint>(which is what some handheld devices would be able to draw at a decent framerate)</hint> and no adaptive/partial subdivision trickery was applied to them. Meaning that they are consistent on all levels in the sculpt, ie (the back of the heads is just as subdivided as the front of the face is, I did not attempt to subdivide the face separately from the back of the head, which would result in more triangles where needed)

I would like to finish and detail them, but that’s outside of the scope of the initial research for my project, so I might pick them up and finish them at some point in the not-so-near future.

Having seen the results, I have decided that I am going to start working on my little project, even if no one likes it, at least I would be more than happy to use it. 😉

To see some more of these tests visit http://exavi.cgsociety.org .


No Comments to “Practical research: low-res sculpting”  

  1. No Comments

Leave a Reply